Friday, July 20, 2007

TGIA

Last night I saw a performance by the LA Philharmonic and it made me realize that the oil doomsdayers are wrong. I refuse to believe the spew of The Long Emergency, regardless of its allure.

As I told my friend last night: the fact that human ingenuity can create music that lasts for hundreds of years gives me hope that we can tackle whatever challenges we face. Plus a recent report makes it sound like things are challenging, but not dire: Oil report's conclusion: Broad effort needed to satiate energy demand

On that optimistic note, I wanted to point out an aggressive push that is happening over at Facebook which has recently been bombarded with new users and applications. Yesterday it announced the acquisition of Parakey in a push to fully integrate with the desktop and web browser. I think this move might backfire and turn the company into a MySpace/Microsoft amalgamation, but maybe the technology is good enough to pull it off. This article discusses the implications: Could Facebook Become the Next Microsoft?

The power of the Facebook, Pownce, Twitter, etc. crowd is the ability it gives us to connect with each and share content other instantaneously --> which should lead to better government and perhaps the prevention of massive private takings in the future.

In the mean time, the middle class in this country is feeling the reality of the headline subprime implosion and garbage is being spewed the local press about how their problems are becoming the convention.

So, on this Friday, take a moment to read this call to arms from a recent graduation speech.

I am optimistic that we will answer it, whether through a platform like Facebook, or some future innovation, to come together to make a change for the better.

No comments: